The Downtown Eastside Neighbourhood House is looking for volunteers to help with our Early Years Drop In program which runs every Friday, starting April 5th 2019, from 9am-11:30am.
The Early Years Drop In Program creates a welcome, safe, and fun environment for parents and their young children to spend time together. As part of the program, we provide snacks and a healthy breakfast, workshop series, guest speakers, and other activities. This program will be predominately discussion based, and a place for parents to learn from one another. This is specifically an early years program, therefore the children must be between 0-5 years to attend.
We are hoping to find some volunteers that can help us out with this shift. Volunteer duties include helping set up for the days activities, interacting and engaging with the families that attend, leading games for the children, helping cook meals, clean up, and providing a welcoming atmosphere.
Please note that applicants are required to undergo a criminal record background check for this role.
Individuals with and Early Childhood Education background are highly encouraged to apply.
Qualifications for Volunteers:
• Early Childhood Education background preferred
• Comfortable and experienced with working with toddlers and families
• Experience working with food preparation
• Reliable schedule and available Fridays during program hours
• Retirees are encouraged to apply
• Ability to speak another language is an asset
• Must clear a vulnerable populations criminal record check
• Past experience volunteering or working in the Downtown Eastside is preferred but not necessary
Volunteer tasks include:
• Reading to the toddlers: Reading out loud is one of the most important things that an early childhood education volunteer can do to help children build their vocabulary, stimulate their imagination and improve their language skills. It also gives the volunteer an opportunity to socialize with the children and through discussions about the reading material to flush out concerns that some children may be experiencing.
• Child activities: Volunteers would be encouraged to create and implement different stimulating activities for the children. Volunteers engage with kids and would help child learn good eating practices and to socialise with other children. Activities will include reading time; play-based problem solving; games; songs; rhymes; learning to eat etc.
• Parents: Develop program contents for parents attending the program. The topics would relate to supporting parents in their role as the child's first teacher, and helping them with their challenges around that. Workshops will be provided to address the needs of parents/caregivers to encourage their own personal healthy development: Volunteer would help the program coordinator to develop and facilitate these workshops. Volunteers would also be helping parent/caregiver to learn many fun ways to engage with the child and promote early learning and literacy.
• Food Preparations: help to prepare, serve nutritious food as well as help with washing and putting away dishes
• General set up and take down: Organised space for various activities and cleaning up at the end of the program (tidying space, putting away toys, sanitizing toys, etc). May include assisting program lead with specific needs.
• Other tasks may include: translations, program promotions, food donation pick-up, etc.
Please note that applicants are required to undergo a criminal record check for this role.
We ask for a minimum 3 month commitment.
We provide an orientation and ongoing support to our volunteers. We strive to reward our volunteers for regular service - incentives range from t-shirts to free training programs for reaching different service milestones. We would love you to join our team and help us create a safe and welcoming space for our community.
The DTES Neighbourhood House provides programming, and educational, leadership, social and recreational opportunities to residents of Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. The neighbourhood house helps foster a respectful, equitable atmosphere of sharing and learning by providing opportunities for residents to meaningfully engage with, and contribute to, their community.
For more information about the DTES Neighbourhood House, our programs and how you can be involved with us, please visit: www.dtesnhouse.ca
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers