Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden offers unique cultural experiences for visitors and the community through a lively series of events, cultural exchanges, educational programs and garden tours.
QR Code Link to This Post
We are seeking Docents/Cultural Interpreters to present valuable and fascinating information to visitors through interpretive tours and informal question periods. Each year, our docents deliver over 1,700 public tours, providing guests from around the world an opportunity to learn about Chinese culture and Chinese heritage in Canada.
This is an exciting opportunity to build and fine-tune valuable career skills in public speaking, presentation, and group facilitation. It is also great for those pursuing a career in the field of Education, Tourism, Communications, Asian Studies, or History.
• Lead 45-minute Garden tours for the public, including adults, seniors and children.
• Share information about the Garden’s elements and features, Chinese culture and heritage, and the history of the Garden and Chinatown.
It is ideal that you are able to commit to at least 6 months, leading tours on a regular weekly or bi-weekly basis. Shifts may change in frequency and duration, depending on the Garden’s hours of operation.
• Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills
• Experience in public speaking and presentation an asset
• Interest in learning and sharing of Chinese culture and history
• Self-starter with a positive “can-do” attitude
• Enthusiastic and reliable
• Fluent in English; a second language such as French, German, or Mandarin is an asset, but not required
• Weekday (Monday-Friday) availability preferred, but not required
All prospective docents are required to attend three mandatory volunteer training sessions led by the Education Coordinator. Before, during and after the initial training, volunteers will spend time shadowing and learning from experienced docents before being scheduled to give official tours.
If you are interested in sharing our enthusiasm for bridging cultures, and would like more information on becoming a volunteer Docent, please reply to this posting.
We look forward to sharing this journey with you!