GCT Canada is the largest marine terminal operator and maritime employer in the country. We are the major entry point for international trade in Canada, totaling over $2 billion in economic output each year. Operating on the West Coast for over a hundred years, we played a major role in the development of the Asia Pacific Gateway.
We offer rewarding opportunities for team-oriented individuals who thrive in a fast-paced environment that are accountable, innovative, and driven to achieve challenging goals. We have an opportunity for one (1) Rail Planner within our Vanterm Rail Planning Department. This is a unionized position represented by ILWU Local 502.
Reporting to the Management Resource Centre Supervisor, you will interact with railways, steamship line customers and the work force to facilitate the movement of import and export rail traffic using a Terminal Operating System and other tools as required. The goal of this position is to allocate resources so that productivity and customer service are maximized.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Communication and coordination with the railways to ensure the movement of cargo in a timely fashion.
• Data input into the Terminal Operating System.
• Coordinating rail switching and loading.
• Assisting and dealing directly with operations personnel on the terminal.
• Complete additional duties as required.
Job Descriptions are intended to describe only the principal duties and responsibilities of a position. They are not meant to be either an inclusive or exclusive list of all work, tasks and functions of any particular job.
You bring the following knowledge and experience:
• High school graduation required and a diploma in Logistics, Transportation or Shipping is preferred.
• Two (2) years of relevant and related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated ability to follow established procedures with attention to detail.
• Demonstrated organizational skills including the ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under pressure in order to meet tight deadlines.
• Demonstrated courteous, professional manner in dealing with internal and external contacts and customers, including positive interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Ability to keyboard at an intermediate level.
• Ability to work effectively with software applications required to support operations activities, including the MS Office suite of applications.
In addition, you must be able to work assigned shifts and days of the week required to support a 24/7 operation. Overtime may be required. Also, a valid Transportation Security Clearance (“TSC”) is required for this role.
Model the Way – Leaders find their voice by clarifying their personal values and expressing them in a style that is authentically their own, and they set the example by aligning actions with shared values.
Inspire a Shared Vision – Leaders envision the future by imagining exciting and ennobling possibilities and enlisting others in a common vision by appealing to shared aspirations.
Challenge the Process – Leaders search for opportunities by seeking innovative ways to change, grow, and improve. They also experiment and take risks by constantly generating small wins and learning from mistakes.
Enable Others to Act – Leaders foster collaboration by promoting cooperative goals and building trust. They strengthen others by sharing power and discretion.
Encourage the Heart – Leaders recognize contributions by showing appreciation for individual excellence. They also celebrate values and victories by creating spirit of community.