White Rock / South Surrey Food Bank serves approximately 600 individuals a week by providing nutritious food and support to community members in need. The Sources Food Banks strive to raise awareness about poverty and to involve the community in solutions. Our Food Banks are proud to offer a choice-based model for our clients—this contributes to the preservation of dignity and power of choice and lends to an overall more positive experience while accessing the Food Bank.
As a driver, volunteers travel out into the community to pick up donated, diverted and purchased foods to bring back to the centre for sorting and distribution. Throughout the course of the pickups, volunteers interact with store managers, employees, and residents of the community. Here is where the responsibility lies with the volunteers to share their knowledge about the Food Bank’s operations, services and benefits. Our volunteers are a key component in helping raise awareness in the community of the Food Bank and Sources services.
To be successful, volunteers must:
• Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Possess a solid understanding of the Food Bank’s services and be comfortable communicating this knowledge with members of the community.
• Be able to work with a minimum of supervision.
• Knowledge of community and surrounding areas an asset.
• Ability and willingness to work co-operatively.
• Awareness of poverty and related issues.
• Possess a sensitivity to client needs at all times.
• Have the ability to lift 50 Lbs.(not continuously).
• Possess a Class 5 Driver’s License and a clean Driver’s Record.
The hours are approximately 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. Days to be determined in consultation with the Operations Coordinator.
Benefits of this position:
Volunteers with the Food Bank have the rewarding opportunity of directly effecting individuals in need in the community by assisting in the receiving, and distributing of food and other necessary items. These positions come with the advantage of being able to work directly with clients and be a positive and supporting interaction in their day. Our volunteer drivers have the added reward of spreading awareness about the Food Bank and forming relationships within the community as an ambassador on behalf of our services. Volunteers gain satisfaction in being part of such a critical and essential service with far-reaching significant impacts.
For more information about this position or other volunteer opportunities with Sources, please visit https://www.sourcesbc.ca/volunteer-opportunities.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers