Are you passionate about the well being of children who are facing challenges in the home? Our PEACE Counsellors (a provincially funded Stopping the Violence program) provide counselling, education and advocacy support to children between the ages of 3 to 18 years old who have experienced domestic violence. The Counsellors also provide: Emotional and parenting support for parents regarding the impact on their children of witnessing violence; Individual and group counselling; Prevention activities in schools; Group facilitation for summer camp.
QR Code Link to This Post
Location: Lonsdale and 16th in North Vancouver
NSCSS Position: PEACE Counsellor
Position Status: Regular
Hours of work: 16 hours per week
Work schedule: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons
Vehicle required: Yes
• Bachelor of Arts degree in related field
• 2 years related experience
• Current First Aid Certificate
• Preference will be given to candidates with Children Who Witness Abuse training and/or prior experience in this program
• Experience with children's programming
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent oral and written skills
• Good organization and time management skills
• Crisis intervention, assessment and counseling skills
• Good conflict resolution skills
• Able to be non judgmental and empathetic
• Able to work effectively in a team environment
• Able to be flexible and creative
• Able to maintain personal and professional boundaries
• Able to interact effectively and positively with children
• Able to remain calm when dealing with stressful situations
This position can be stressful. There is a level of personal risk involved in the day-to-day work. The ability to function under pressure is a continual requirement. This position requires flexibility in hours and most appointments are after school and in the early evening.
This position requires Union membership.
This posting will stay up until the position is filled.