This social skills group is aimed at training parents of young children to play interactively with their child, while teaching important social and interpersonal skills.
Parent participation is key for this group. It is a requirement for this program for at least one parent to attend all the sessions along with the child. It is recommended for the same parent to attend all sessions, as each week’s concept builds on the skills taught in the previous weeks.
The curriculum is based on the Early Start Denver Model by Dr. Sally Rogers and will cover topics, including:
• Gaining your child’s attention
• Increasing verbal and non-verbal communication skills
• Teaching imitation skills
• Playing turn taking games with and without toys
• Engaging your child in pretend play
• Effective strategies to teach various skills and address challenging behaviours
• Creating opportunities to practice social and communication skills within various everyday routines